Making Awesome Things Happen (M.A.T.H.) is a community based, not for profit, 501(c)(3), volunteer organization, dedicated to developing mathematical proficiency in economically disadvantaged students by sharpening basic fundamental mathematical skills by implementing culturally relevant pedagogy and curriculum. Our overall goal is to help traditionally underrepresented students become proficient and confident in mathematics enough to be successful in academics and life. We also desire to increase the number of minorities in STEM related fields.
M.A.T.H. provides free mathematics tutoring, free mathematics summer camps, student-specific interventions to public schools, and professional development for pre- and in-service teachers.
· One-on-One Tutoring: MATH provides free one-one-one tutoring to youth in grades K-12 that receive free or reduced lunch at various locations in the Texas. One-on-one tutoring allows the opportunity for learning to take place on an individual need basis.
· Summer MATH Camp: MATH hosts free two-week summer MATH camps each summer for students in grades K-12 that receive free or reduced lunch. The camps provide a fun atmosphere for children to intentionally learn and share mathematics.
· School Interventions: MATH provides culturally relevant mathematics interventions to interested schools. The interventions are designed based on the needs of the students.
· Mobile Tutoring: M.A.T.H. provided free tutoring on a mobile bus equipped with laptops and other technology to inner city youth in the past. We lost access to the mobile bus, and it is our goal to obtain access to another bus to be able to offer this service again.
· Professional Development: MATH provides training for teachers on research based instructional strategies that help improve mathematical proficiency among traditionally underrepresented students. Training includes the knowledge and support necessary to enact best practices.
M.A.T.H. to the White House
Making Awesome Things Happen was invited to the White House Conference on Inclusive STEM Education for Youth of Color.
October 25, 2016
M.A.T.H. Receives Funding for Summer Program
M.A.T.H. partnered with Lone Star College to offer M&M's in STEM Summer Institute and received the Governor's Summer Merit Grant to support the 2019 Institute!
January 7, 2019